roll - gybe;265278 Wrote:
> So how many people have purchased a $1000+ DAC with a refund policy, A/B
> tested it, and sent it back?
A few years ago I bought a Lucid DA9624 on sale or return. It was about
£650 - approx $1100 at the exchange rates of the day. (This was before
the Benchmark DAC1 had appeared).

It was level-matched and compared to my Micro-Seiki CD-M100 (a Japanese
"statement" CD player from 1990, basically a heavily breathed-on Marantz
CD94). On sighted listening, I thought the Lucid had slightly more
detail. But then I did a blind comparison and after 10 trials had
scored 5/10. In other words, the two DACs were audibly
indistinguishable to me in my system. This experiment was something of
an eye-opener for me.

The Lucid was returned for a refund, of course.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A