adamslim;267438 Wrote:
> Thanks for sharing (does that sound like an AA comment? ;) ).  Out of
> interest, why did you go for the Modwright over other modders?

I've previously purchased Dan Wright's modified Perpetual Technologies
P3A DAC and was very pleased with the result (no tubes!).

Frankly, I WAS concerned that this was a "waste of money" but being an
audiophile, I've spent money foolishly in the past ;-) so I know what
that feels like!

Turns out, Dan's approach made a piece of gear that I didn't want to
spend my time listening to into a piece of gear that I spend all my
time listening to.  That's worth it to me.  I have four different audio
systems in my home, including a system in the bedroom, living room, home
theatre, and my music room.  The last is where I do my serious
listening, and the MW Transporter has taken up home there.

And for another poster, no, you can't get the same result running thru
a tube buffer.  BTDT.  But spending money and results are two different
things (unfortunately).  In this instance, I got results that were worth
it to me, so I consider it a good investment in my musical pleasure.  I
probably spend $6-7,000 per year on this hobby --mostly for music and
concert tickets/travel -- so it wasn't THAT big a deal for me
money-wise.  But it certainly hits my hot buttons.

I've never been thrilled with digital music, partly because I'm an old
fart with nearly 2,000 LP's, so that's the bulk of my listening.  But
I'm impressed that the Transporter does so well, and I do think the
Modwright approach, which modifies none of the "front end" but only
addresses limitations in the analogue stage, is a net improvement.

Use your own ears, then let me know what you think?

Frank

--
HalleysComet