GuyDebord;267603 Wrote:
> and the willingness to consume 4000 in credit or cash.....
>
> the transporter has years of research and development on it, electrical
> engineers, designers, software engineers, etc. The technology, features
> and sound is truly worth 2000 euros, the tp reflects innovation and
> leadership by all standards, and i happily support a product like this.
> Now, modwright only parasites on all of this and still charges exactly
> what the tp is worth to modify it with an extremely standard tube
> stage, in my book, the value of something like that is ZERO and enters
> the unethical realm/// Im sorry. but auditioning something like this is
> against my time, logic and principles. Common sense and not audiofool
> sense tells me its another of many frauds in the industry///

While I respect your point of view, I disagree with one of your key
premises.

Dissatisfaction with the state-of-the-art, and the willingness to
explore alternatives is central to progress in sound reproduction
technology.  Most of the leading lights in this industry started their
careers with soldering irons in their hands and a spark of an idea in
their heads.  For instance, firms such as Conrad Johnson and Acoustic
Research have their roots firmly in the foundation of modding other
designer's work.

Dan Wright of ModWright Instruments may have roots in modding, but I
submit that he is an innovator who is driving the state of the art in
the industry.  He currently manufactures one of the finest
preamplifiers extant, designed and built from scratch, and produced in
his own factory.  Dan was one of the first to accept and utilize the
work of Jack Bybee, to deal with the effects of HF interference in high
bandwidth audio circuits.  He stands on the shoulders of designers like
Alan Kimmel, famed developer of the constant current circuits with whom
he partnered in developing Dan's award-winning stand-alone phono stage.
The analog stage in his Transporter modification is hardly "extremely
standard" nor is the sound of the resulting product.

Willam Zane Johnson of AR is another fine example of a modder who
evolved into a manufacturer of renowned high-end audio equipment.  I
still have one of his modded Dynaco amps of the 60's, where he first
achieved a measure of commercial success.  Innovations which include
deep understanding of materials science, and the sound of individual
components/brands/types is central to the toolbox of successful
modders.  It also represents one of the strongest reasons why modern
electronics generally outperform "classic" designs of earlier decades.

Of course, any hacker can start subbing parts and call themselves a
modder, so I take your point about parasites.  But at the same time, I
think this process is central to the evolution of improved sound
reproduction equipment, and successful modders are a boon, not a bane
to our industry.  I think you're sadly mistaken if you believe that
modding is antithetical to excellence.

Anyway, this is not the discussion I expected, when I originally posted
my positive experience with the product!  But interesting, and thanks
for adding your point of view!

Frank

--
HalleysComet