Timothy Stockman;271431 Wrote:
> I don't have Kind of Blue on LP, but I do have the Columbia/Legacy CD
> remaster, so I can comment on it.  It's obviously been edited on a
> digital workstation, but there's a brief snippet (0.1 sec) of what
> appears to be unfaded noise at the beginning of "So What", preceded by
> about 0.15 sec of digital dither, which is preceded by digital silence.
> According to Cool Edit, that noise is around -55 dBFS (RMS), hardly
> anywhere near the -86 dBFS (RMS) of the digital dither alone.  As I
> said in the previous post, the problem is not the CD, the noise came
> from the source tape used to master the CD.  Of course the CD will
> sound "noisy"; the noise from the analog source has been digitized and
> RECORDED on the CD, the CD's inherent noise floor is WAY lower, around
> 30 dB lower!
>
> -55 dBFS is consistent with what I have seen from good recordings of
> that era.  I don't know for sure but likely with a pre-111 tape
> formulation and WAY before Dolby or other noise reduction was
> available.

Im sorry but I have never liked measurments and any arguments made
around them, and this for one simple reason: I dont listen to music
with my eyes or mathematic skills, I listen to music with my ears, and
my ears dont understand measurements.

Saying this, I agree with all of you that prove a cd has a lower noise
floor, I cant argue with science on this. However, if I forget about
science and immerse in feeling and truth to music, the lp has the
lowest noise floor of all, dead black.

I dont remember any live performance where I didnt hear the sound of
silence and its this sound of silence that vinyl reproduces to
perfection. CD is always sterile in this sense, artificially quiet and
in this artificial atmosphere any noise shows far more than in any
vinyl, rendering cd's generally noisy. (again, measurments aside).

Timothy: you should try to make a comparison cd-lp of this record. Its
the one i normally use to demonstrate to skeptics about the superiority
of vinyl, since many people are familiar with this record. But if you
want a jaw dropping difference, take Miles Davis most recent audiophile
digital remaster of Bitches Brew and compare it with the LP (non 180gr.
and no remaster edition, i think it doesnt even exist) the difference
is literally night and day. I cant remember how many side to side
comparisons I have made and at least in my system, vinyl kills cd with
a chainsaw.

I dont think any serious audiophile would disagree with this. This is
why DCS (the best digital ive heard) is always compared to vinyl sound
and not digital. Its very simple, just listen, dont read measurements,
follow your ears and you will discover another world of music
reproduction.

--
GuyDebord

Reference3A RoyalMaster monitors biwired with van den Hul Inspiration,
REL Strata5. AMPS: Pathos Classic One MKIII's in mono config. ANALOGUE:
Clearaudio Ambient CMB, Satisfy Carbon & Lyra Helikon SL, ASR MiniBasis
SQ preamp, link: WireWorld SilverEclipse 5.2. DIGITAL: SlimDevices
Transporter, link: AcousticZen Silver Reference2 XLR’s. POWER: Isotek
MiniSub GII, Isotek Elite cables (MiniSub, Rel), Siltech SPX30 MKII
(Transporter), van den Hul Mainstream (Pathos) & van den Hul Mainserver
(ASR).