If I understand it, now, we're getting into the question of what, for
lack of a better term, might be called "micro-dynamics", reverb tails,
etc.  I think there is some legitimacy to the claim that LPs don't have
the quantization distortion problems of a 16-bit digital PCM medium.

A simple way to look at undesired signals which are reproduced by an
audio system is that they are categorized as either noise or
distortion.  Noise is present with no signal, therefore having a low
correlation to the signal of interest, whereas distortion is present
only with signal, thus having a high correlation to th signal of
interest.  LP surface noise, CD dither, tape hiss, etc. indeed have a
low correlation to the signal of interest, and therefore some may find
them easier to ignore.  Quantization distortion, albeit very low level
at 16-bit resolution, is strongly correlated to the signal and thus
some may find it more difficult to ignore.  LPs have their own forms of
signal-induced distortion, so it's not an obvious black-white decision
as to which is better.

These arguments will likely be rendered pointless if and when more
material becomes available in 20- or 24-bit format, which will move the
quantization distortion below the point where it can be heard in all but
the most extreme situations, certainly not situations where one would
enjoy hearing music.  The 16-bit standard is, at this point, a dinosaur
from over 25 years ago when the CD standard was established; hard to
believe it was really at, or maybe even a bit beyond, the cutting edge
then.  IMHO, Slim has been very forward thinking, in this regard.  Now
all we need is lots of 24-bit source material...

Back to the "Turn It Up" theme: 24-bit resolution is pointless when the
recording companies slam the levels against the top and don't even use
the 16-bits they have.   I'm not sure I can focus on the micro-dynamics
while being beaten soundly about the head by the loudness-war induced
distortion present on many of today's recordings, sadly including more
re-masters than should be included.  So I guess my wish list would be
(in order):

1.  Recording companies across-the-board turn down the recorded levels
on new recordings.
2.  Go to a format which allows 20 to 24-bit resolution.
3.  Go to a higher sample rate, possibly 88.2 / 96 KHz or even 176.4 /
192 KHz, though IMHO the gains become vanishingly small after the
sample rate passes 100 KHz.  Apparently even Benchmark agrees with
this; their DAC1 re-samples everything to 110 KHz.

Unfortunately, I don't see the economic incentives which would cause
the music industry to pursue any of these improvements.  Even though we
have the technological solutions at hand, getting the industry to
implement them is probably a pipe dream.

Pure analog is NOT on my list.  To my way of thinking, the problems of
the digital revolution will ultimately be better solved than the
problems of the analog era.  Mass duplication of music, by definition,
is copying, and the name of the game is reducing generational loss to a
minimum.  With analog, there is no good solution, any way you solve the
problem some finite number of generations is involved, each incurring
some loss.  With digital, just about all of the loss is at the ends; it
doesn't matter how many generations are in the middle, as each one can
be an exact, indistinguishable copy of the previous.  (A good question,
of course, is are they exact, but since the industry has moved from 1630
to hard-drives, I think we can fairly safely answer YES.)

One final point regarding the "Turn It Up" theme: HDCD.  It is an
interim solution which I think can help to push us in the right
direction.  Because undecoded compatibility is an issue, it might  do
some good in lessening the mastering engineer's desire to slam the
levels against the pin.  Unfortunately, it's now in the hands of
Microsoft, who will (and have) kept it locked up big time so they can
make money from the licensing fees.

--
Timothy Stockman