Pat Farrell wrote:
> Robin Bowes wrote:
>> Actually, a 3dB increase represents a doubling of the sound power, which
>> is not the same as "volume".
>
> Which is why the power version uses a 20 log (x/y) and the
> normal definition uses 10 log(x/y)

No, it's the other way round.

Pressure levels use 20log(p/p0), power levels use 10log(w/w0)

>> It is generally accepted that a perceived doubling of loudness equates
>> to approximately a 10dB increase, i.e. 10 times the power.
>
> Hmmm, I may be mis-remembering things, I thought 6dB required ten times
> the amp power. Thus a 100wPC amp is not significantly louder than a
> 60wPC amp.

Well, the thrust of your point is correct - dB levels are not the same
as amp power. However, when I use the term "power" above, I am not
talking about amp power levels.

>> Anyeway, a 3dB change is not what I'd call a "barely perceptible change
>> in loudness".
>
> The usual definition of one dB is smallest reliably detected change in
> loudness.

Er, I've not heard that definition before. It's certainly true, i.e. 1dB
is about the smallest reliably detectable change in loundness, but a dB
is not defined as that.

R.