You can read my thoughts on 16/44 vs hi rez on that thread.

As for lossy vs 16/44 this is a non-issue for me. I buy my music on CD
because the shiny disc is an ultimate back up (yes I have redundant
hard disks too), because CD has no DRM and because in general I listen
to albums not tracks. So for me lossy downloads lose on all points and
are more expensive. Having bought a CD there is no advantage to ripping
it into lossy because hard drive space is cheap.

So the answer is finding out if lossy sounds as good as 16/44 is a
waste of my time. :p
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system