highdudgeon;63382 Wrote:
> I'm wondering how many people have done careful listening comparing the
> Squeezebox with and without a high-end external DAC?  IE, is there much
> benefit to be gained?  Little?  None at all?
>
> Personally, I think it sounds quite good.  I do have a re-clocking DAC
> on order.  Comments, thoughts.
>
> Also, comments and thoughts on an external power supply?  Worth it?
> And, surely, there must be a commercial unit available that would be
> cheaper than one of the "audiophile" versions (ie, Boulder, etc.).

I can switch instantly between the SB3 dac and my Bryston dac, and the
difference is there. Whether or not its big enough to justify the price
is up to you.
Funny enough, through a set of Stax Signature II earphones I didnt hear
that much difference, but through the speakers it was big.
With the SB3 the voices seemed to emerge from the dead middle and music
coming from the two speakers, literally. Switching to the Bryston I
suddenly had a soundstage, a lot more deep bass and no speakers......

--
Anne

Squeezebox 3 > Stereovox XV2 > Bryston B100-DA SST > Martin Logan Aeon I