I am also of the opinion the transporter is pretty accurate and somewhat
cold and a little forward
I bought it cos I thought it could replace my front end in a headphone
system which was a Jolida CDP (valve) and a musical Fidelity X-can v3
running Siemens CCs's and either a Senheisser HD 600 or 650 cans. I
find it more detialed compared to the jolids , less "airy" however and
distinctly bass shy. Overall the tenasporter might be more accurate or
better but its far less involving than my old system.

SPDIF output is however as good if not better than my theta Jade. I
dont want to go back to the jolida due to not listening where my cd
collection is and the obvious utility of having your music on tap. I
will fiddle with some tube rolling andtry some different interconnects
etc to try tune it to my taste.
'
I dont think the mods re valves etc are a waste if they make the unit
more enjoyable to those that have the taste for valve type sound.
Happens plenty in the car world , ppl buy perfectly acceptable and
useful vehicles and modify em straight away in various ways. Mods don't
mean the unit was no good in the first place and no criticism to the
designer. It's pretty much a compliment that the tuner or modifier
thinks the unit is worth while tweaking. After all one doesnt want to
start with anything second rate.

--
Rodney_Gold