bigfool1956;277512 Wrote:
> I would say the difference is one of order vs energy, in that the native
> decoding orders the music better, whilst the alternative has a little
> more energy.
>
> As an example, I listened extensively to the track "Secretly" by Skunk
> Anansie. When played with native decoding it becomes obvious how Skin
> phrases her vocal delivery to drop the words exactly to the timing of
> the band, little pauses here and there to ensure this happens. With the
> same track transcoded on the server, this becomes somewhat obscured.
>
> As I said, the transcoded file has a little more energy, but to my view
> this is at a cost. Somewhat like comparing a CD player to the TP. I
> suppose 'slightly brash' would be a reasonable description.
>
> I do know that some people prefer the transcoded wave stream, and the
> trade of may be personal and system dependent. My system is not short
> on energy, and so doesn't need any help in this respect.
>
> What I like is that this is a tweak that is free, reversible, and takes
> but a second to try. Why not have a go yourself and see what you think.
>
> If you are running wireless, then the extra bandwidth of the wave
> stream may cause problems, where you previously had none.

Thanks David, I didn't even know that option was available. I've
actually sent the Transporter back to the dealer.

I have read a few reviews now that have all experienced what I
experienced - analytical, bright and uninvolving sound. I LOVE the
transporter interface, but to buy something like this and then put a MF
Dac or something on top seems like a waste of money...

I am going to consider the offerings from Linn (Akurate DS) if I can
find one at a semi decent price.

As a single unit, imo the Transporter does NOT cut it for audiophiles.

Cheers

--
Kris