Rodney_Gold;279387 Wrote:
> With cheaper storage and greater bandwidth is there any advantage to
> compressing files at all these days?
> Even if the compression is lossless , it still introduces an extra
> processing step. Will any of these formats be that relevant in 5 years?
> The only reason to cater for them will be legacy applications and the
> only reason they exist now is as bandaids.

>From my perspective as a person who has to deal with the storage
requirements for large scale computer systems.  It's ALWAYS good to
think about efficiency.  FLAC is designed to be reasonably cheap on the
decompress side just like mp3 is.  All the compression work is on the
encoding side.  Even fast mode FLAC compression is better than nothing
when it comes to storage requirements, network bandwidth, decoding
buffers (as sean pointed out) and any other system that has to handle
the moving stream.

Why be wasteful when being efficient is very very low cost.

--
SuperQ