I have no doubt *whatsoever* that FLAC encoded files will sound like the
original. In fact I use my SB as a DA converter, and when I feed FLAC
files into it from the SB there is no difference in the sound - I
equally enjoy them and can listen for long periods without any fatigue.
And I have never heard the difference.

However, I think most commercial music these days can be safely
converted to 320 or even 256 MP3 without suffering much. Fact is most
music has not been recorded with audiophile values in mind. I buy my
commercial stuff on Itunes. My last CD purchase has been Stanley
Clarke's "The Toys of Men", which got dutifully converted to FLAC.

I do think in these audiophile sound wars we sometimes forget that
often the source is very compromised from a recording point of view. I
don't necessarily see why I'd honor such a recording with encoding it
as FLAC. It's supposed to be commercial, so I think handling it as an
MP3 has symbolic value. ;-)

--
pablolie