Patrick Dixon;289496 Wrote:
> You can't use SPLs as they depend completely on the replay system,
> amplifier, volume level setting etc.  This is an entirely digital
> artefact, and since PCM audio is only a representation of the 'real'
> analogue signal, you need to get your head round the problem in the
> digital domain.

Did you read my post, Patrick?  Yes, you're right - the SPL in the end
depends on the replay system and the volume setting.  If you have a set
of amps capable of supplying 45,000 watts/channel, the noise due to
rounding errors would just reach the threshold of audibility in a
completely silent room. :)

>  It's much more significant than claimed, and therefore it's entirely
> possible that people can hear the effect - which indeed they did.

No - it is completely impossible.  At normal listening levels, hearing
that effect would constitute a violation of the laws of physics.

What did you have for breakfast that morning?

--
opaqueice