I respect your opions -- you guys have far more experience with computer
audio than I.  You want to believe in digital, and that all this
manipulation of bytes will have no effect on the final sound-- it's
just information after all, which can be "lossless."  Theoretically
perhaps it is, but that is not what I've found listening carefully.
You want to believe that FLAC is FLAC, whether created by EAC's
algorhythms or the SB3's.  Are you certain?

There are a lot of uncontrolled variables here, despite all the claims
to "science" being thrown around (including by me).  I think one of the
biggest which has not been mentioned is the DACs in the SB3 vs. an SACD
player.  I love Burr-Brown and I think the SB3 is a phenomenally
well-designed box, but you would have to agree that even if you have
identical source material (e.g. a CD ripped as wav into the server
playing through the SB3 vs. the CD on the 555es) that these will
inevitably lead to different reproduced sounds.

Another variable is the system.  As I said, I have ScanSpeak tweets
that if I remember right are not 3 dB down until 40hz, have a moving
mass of 25 grams, are crossed over with a single Musicap, and are
driven by an amplifier that is rated pretty flat out to almost 100khz.
These are the realms where digital's drawbacks are most noticeable, not
in the low end.  I know you want to write off those of us who claim to
hear differences as self-flatterers with your pop-psychology
snarlydwarf, but how about considering the possibility that people are
actually different and hear differently? Could it be that SACD is
'dead' because the vast majority of people cannot hear the quality of
sound produced, and therefore are understandably not going to pay for
it?  MP3s etc. are the Walmart of audio.  I think folks of the iPod
generation believe that small and compressed and quantity are good
things, sleek, slick, slender, 80 gigs in a little white case.  Just
because something 'dies' in the market does not mean it has no value to
some people, unless you are a market fundamentalist.  And if I can try
some of my own pop psychology, maybe people want to believe that they
can buy some cheap computer speakers and that the music coming through
them is all the same, because, after all, FLAC is FLAC.

That leads me to one last thing.  I have always only stated my opinion
as such and never belittled anyone for theirs.  I am clearly in the
minority here and you guys have presented more than a hint of nastiness
which unfortunately is cliche in online debates where folks seem to
throw courtesy out the window because they are not face to face.  As a
new member here it really makes me wonder about the value of voicing a
minority opinion on these forums, or posting at all for that matter.

Enjoy your music,

rhizomaticon

SB3 + DIY FreeNAS server w/SlimNAS + SqueezeCenter 7.0
Sony C555ES CD/SACD
Creek 0BH-12
Musical Fidelity A3CR
Hafler 500
4-way DIY transmission line towers with Scan-Speak Tweets, rest
Peerless (Bi-Amped)