pfarrell;291878 Wrote:

> I don't see any reason to do bi-tri amping without the external
> crossover. You'd be sending the whole signal to each  amp, and on to
> the
> tweeter or woofer. What's the tweeter going to do with a 50Hz signal?

It won't see a 50Hz signal, because the (passive) crossover in the
speaker will filter it out.

But I agree that the benefits of this are not obvious, at least so long
as the amps are not clipping.

> Mostly, I think this is really a way to prove that you have too much
> money.

You might just have another amp lying around and want to try it.

In my case I'm using a relatively inexpensive 12 channel distribution
amp fed by an active crossover custom designed for these speakers.  The
amp plus crossover costs much less than many audiophile 2-channel amps.

--
opaqueice