I would agree with most of the posts. I have speakers that are designed
to be run in a bewildering variety of consigurations that I won't list
here, simply by changing the orientation of the connection panel on the
back. I run mine active (x-overs are optional plugin modules inside the
stereo power amps).

One of the many options is to run the mid+treble as  vertical bi-amp
and run the bass as a horizontal bi-amp. This addresses the crosstalk
benefit but not the "mono bass needs more power" problem.
In my old active system, the manufacturer reccomendation was to run
left bass+right mid from one amp and right bass and left mid from
another, with the treble from the third amp...(imagine the wiring
nightmare that was! - especially with non standard XLR cabling).

If I was tri-amping (not active)  would run mid+bass vertical and
treble horizontal. YMMV.

For me personally I find active is a significant leap in quality from
bi/tri-amping as the passive crossover is gone, gone, gone...and so is
the small waste of electricity that is dumping power for no reason
because of the insertion loss. Active seems to give much better control
at the bass end in particular and has an overall "grip" on the
rhythmic/dynamic aspects of the music that I find lacking in many
non-active setups. Also of course it is much easier to design whatever
x-over slopes you want to make the drivers+cabinet sound good when
working at line level...

That's not to say that "active" is a panacea of course.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables