Phil Leigh;292052 Wrote:

> For me personally I find active is a significant leap in quality from
> bi/tri-amping as the passive crossover is gone, gone, gone...and so is
> the small waste of electricity that is dumping power for no reason
> because of the insertion loss. Active seems to give much better control
> at the bass end in particular and has an overall "grip" on the
> rhythmic/dynamic aspects of the music that I find lacking in many
> non-active setups.

The bass in my (active, quad-amped) system is the best I've ever heard.

I think it has more to do with the dipole radiation pattern than
anything else, but it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to
design a passive crossover that can compensate for the dipole rolloff,
so they go together.

--
opaqueice