To throw another configuration into the mix, I used to use a separate,
passive crossover (high-pass filter) that filtered out frequencies
below 80Hz.  This filter had 1 set of stereo RCA inputs, and two sets
of stereo RCA outputs (1 filtered and the other unfiltered).

I ran it between the preamp output and the amp input (for the filtered
run), and a powered subwoofer with an 80Hz crossover/low-pass filter
(on the unfiltered run).  This effectively reduced the load on the amp
driving the main speakers, as it no longer received input signal below
80Hz.  It certainly made a difference to my ears in this system.

Given that there were two amps (one in the subwoofer), I suppose it is
bi-amping of a sort. :-p

--
jeffmeh