Robin Bowes;294082 Wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> I decided to use this as a springboard to start a new thread about good
>
> "reference" tracks that we use to audition systems.
>
> However, it just turned into a list of music that "does it" for me!
>
> Anyway, I did it, so I'm going to hit send!
>
> R.
>
> The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice from O
> - very up-front vocal. Good test of how natural the system sounds
> - also has good bass extension when the band comes in at 1:41
> Highway To Hell by AC/DC from Highway to Hell
> - Can sound harsh. Needs lots of PRAT
> Be My Number Two by Joe Jackson from Body & Soul
> - very nicely recorded, piano + vocal + full band. Great song!
> Birdland by Weather Report from Heavy Weather
> - quite busy jazz
> - potentially harsh high-hats
> - also lots of bottom end that can get muddy
> True Love Ways by Buddy Holly from The Original Master Tapes
> - that voice, up front; lots of lovely strings
> - this is perfect.
> Prelude & Fuge No.2 in C from Das Wohltemperierte Klavier, Part I by
> J.S. Bach, played by Sviatoslav Richter
> - amazing performance, but very "wet"
> - good test of ability to resolve detail
> L. van Beethoven - Allegro con Brio from Symphony No.5 - VPO/Kleiber
> - a classic performance, but can get a little "mushy"
> - good test of ability to resolve detail and convey dynamics
> Verdi - Dies Irae from Requiem Mass - Gardiner
> - wow!
> Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker - Kirov Orchestra, Gergiev
> - incredibly well-recorded orchestral music

Nice selections, some really audio challenging tunes for any system.
These are the songs I take to the HiFi Store when I want to audition
equipment. I start with some popular artists then move into the obscure
system challenging pieces.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arm – From Brothers in Arms
Billy Joel - Baby Grand – From The Bridge
Harry Connick Jr – She – From She
Mick Jagger - Use Me     - From Wandering Spirit
Flim & the BB’s – Tricycle – From Tricycle
Flim & the BB’s - At the Hop – From Big Notes
Flim & the BB’s – Funhouse- From Big Notes
Amanda McBroom – Amanda – From Growing up in a Hollywood Town
Domnerus Group - Limehouse Blues - Jazz at the Pawnshop
Erich Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops – Ascent – From Time Warp (Telarc)
Acoustic Alchemy - Mr. Chow – From Red Dust & Spanish Lace
Checkfield – Clockwork – From Distance Thunder
Sheffield Labs - Jim Keltner – From Sheffield Drum & Track CD

Ascent by Erich Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops at higher volume levels
will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your amp and the
available bass and overall speed of your speakers. The bass audio goes
below 20 Hz, so if you stop hearing or feeling music during the song
your speakers ran out of bottom. As for the other tunes, they all
provide information. I will not color your views with what I hear or
think you should hear. I enjoy all music but Rap/HipHop and really
enjoy dynamic songs.

--
iPhone

iPhone

Last.FM http://www.lastfm.com/user/mePhone

Media Room:
Transporter, Vandersteen Quatro Signature, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks, VTL
TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, VCC-5 Reference Center Channel, four VSM-1
Signatures, Runco 710, RAM Oppo DV970HD, VeraStarr 6.4SE

Living Room:
SqueezeBox Duet, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2,
Two VSM-1, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold

Bedroom:
Squeezebox 3, Thiel 2.3, NAD C370