I am not part of the mass market. I'm typing this on a laptop running
Linux. There are plenty of people like me but I realise they are the
minority.

I like Slim Devices products because they tap into a home network and
data server that were already there for me. I don't need to pay for
things which I've already got (and I've got them because they are
useful in general).

On the audiophile side, the SD products are characterised as minimal
players which can be connected to my main rig. The total absence of
physical noise from fans and electrical noise due to moving parts is
very attractive to me as an audiophile. Such basic characteristics seem
to be lacking from other products and that pretty much disqualifies them
by comparison.

Just as the audiophile cognoscenti are reversing their hogwash about CD
players being inherently better than music servers (to the truth) a few
other audio sacred cows are going to get slaughtered in the medium
term.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system