pfarrell;302578 Wrote:
> chinablues wrote:
> > good was the signal path to my ear?  Realise that this has been
> > discussed endlessly before...but whenever I listen to 'live' music,
> > always wonder what really is 'live'.  Maybe Opera; but not really a
> > band in a pub.
>
> If there are electronics and speakers, they are part of the music.
> While its impossible, I like the philosophy of The Absolute Sound, the
>
> sound of voice or acoustic instruments in real spaces.
>
> I recently went to hear The Seldom Scene. There was so much reverb on
> the voices that it nearly made me leave.
>
> It took me a long time to realize that what Les Paul created with his
> "log" was not a louder guitar. The guitar, amp, and speaker, together,
>
> is the instrument. You just can play some of it the same as a folk or
> Spanish guitar.
>
> When a guitarist puts the signal through a tube amplifier that is
> overdriven, that is not distortion, that's what the artist wants it ot
>
> sound like.
>

> --
> Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
> http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC

Yes the amp+guitar are indeed the whole instrument - that's what you
are playing...to make the sound.

I don't buy this "only acoustic instruments are the truth" codswallop.
It's just as hard to (try and) reproduce the sound of a Les Paul
wailing through a Marshall Plexi stack on FULL as it is to reproduce a
double bass (say)...certainly one is going to tax the microphone rather
more than the other!

Most home systems can't create anything like the visceral thump of a
Marshall (et al) stack...
Most studio monitoring systems struggle IMHO.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables