johan73;312121 Wrote:
> I've recently bought a Squeezebox Duet and have started ripping my cd
> collection. I use dBpoweramp Reference and rip to flac. For most cd’s I
> achieve an “AccurateRip”, so I suppose my rips are close to bit-perfect.
> I use an external DAC (Mission DAC5) between the SB and my amp.
>
> However, I still find that the sound from the SB is flatter, more dull,
> less crisp and has less punch than the cd original.
>
> I have compared audio quality from the SB with that from my cd
> transport (Cambridge CDT One) by in turn connecting the cd transport
> and the SB to the same external DAC using the same digital cable.
>
> I bought the SB in the belief that the digital output would be equally
> good – if not better due to less jitter – than that from a cd player,
> so I’m a bit disappointed. Can anyone see obvious flaws in my
> set-up/approach?
>
> Johan

make sure you have digital outout set to "fixed", you are not using
replaygain and the analog outputs is set to "63" (ie off). Make sure
bit rate limiting is set to "none".

Stream FLAC as FLAC(ie use the native encoder)

Are you using SPDIF or toslink?

In my experience, an SB3 digital output will equal or outperform any CD
player I've owned/used/borrowed (this includes some very expensive
esoterica).

Remember, this is all about clock-recovery /jitter (there is no other
factor that can affect quality - the bits are correct) and how well
your DAC handles them.

The output jitter of the SB is very low.

I'm starting to wonder if some people prefer higher jitter... ?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables