ratso;312151 Wrote:
> yes, but my preamp isn't - hence the need for rca to xlr as the ground
> loop is occuring between the preamp and the amps (no ground loop if
> preamp is taken out of mix and transporter goes directly into amps).

But surely, if you have balanced-input power amps, you'd want to use a
balanced pre-amp?

Anyway, the thing is you should not be getting a ground loop in any
circumstances...unless something is wrong. I know US wiring is
different to the UK, but I've wired up studios with a mix of balanced
and unbalanced items (over 50 pieces of gear) and had no ground loops.

Normally a ground loop occurs where there are multiple parallel paths
to earth...or sometimes NO paths to earth.

I think you said that TP+power amps = OK?, but TP+Pre+Power Amps =
hum?

Is everything plugged into a single power strip?

Can you hear the hum when there is no music playing? - does it go away
if you unplug the TP from the mains?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables