opaqueice wrote:
> Certainly two different trumpets played by two different trumpeters in
> two different rooms can sound very different.  But they still sound
> like -trumpets-, not like speaker cones in sealed boxes.

It doesn't take two trumpeters.

Most good trumpet players change from standard rental trumptets (which
retail for $400) to a good/professional trumpet in junior high or early
high school. The standard good trumpet is a Bach Stradivarius, which
retails for ~$1800

Most of the time, if the kid has talent, their trumpet teacher will go
with them to a major instrument retailer. I know of them in Philly, NYC,
and Washington DC. (I expect there are others, I just live on the east
coast). The stores typically have rooms with 20 or more copies of the
major models from Bach, Benge, etc. And they will have several models of
each line.

The standard approach is to pull some relatively different models, and
have the student play. After a bit, it becomes clear which model works
for the student's talent. Then they usually bring in five or ten of that
model, which goes through a selection process.

The point is, that they all sound different. Sure, they sound like
trumpets, but they don't sound alike.

I know what my daughter sounds like on her Bach Stradivarius because
I've listened to her practice for thousands of hours. And I know what
trumpets sound like.

But I really don't know what Wynton Marsalis's trumpet should sound like.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/