firedog;329153 Wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I've been told by a dealer (who also mods the units for personal use)
> that a properly grounded linear power supply will noticeably improve
> the sound of the Duet.
>
> However the only suitable ones I can find are $300 (Channel Island
> Audio) or $475 (Bolder Cables).
>
> Anyone know of a reasonable quality one for less?
>
> Thanks

Don't bother or waste your money. The lower end SBs have internal
switching supplies, so until somebody comes up with a multiple output
voltage linear power supply that requires your Duet or SB3 to be sent
in to them so that a multiple voltage DC connector can be installed on
your unit, don't bother. And there is truly only one reason to replace
the OEM PS (other then it died), if and only if it is interfering with
your other components (wall wart switchers have been know to do this).
The Channel Islands power supply is a very nice PS. It is well build
with plenty of available current, but again, it is not needed.

Lastly, look at the money you would be spending! Save a few more bucks
above what a Duet and the new linear PS would cost and get a
Transporter if you're worried about your power supply. Also stay away
from Welborne Labs for they have customer No Service and have shipped
incomplete kits and DOA completed units.

The Duet and SB3 are not meant to be Audiophile playback sources.
Changing out the power supply is not going to change that or anything
else for that matter.

If none of this has sunk in, I will leave you with one last thought.
Sean took the time to design an Audiophile Squeezebox called the
Transporter. Do you not think that the Duet and SB3 would come with a
better PS if it would really make that much of a difference? Especially
considering that mass-producing them as OEM supplies would really lower
the cost of a OEM provided linear PS.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom: SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3
Home Office: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, VSM-1 Sigs
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5