spoon;331506 Wrote:
> I think the majority of modern CDROM drives will interpolate on error,
> which is bad for secure rippers as it makes the job of detecting the
> errors more difficult (an interpolation is an error).
Obviously the author of dbPowerAmp has probably forgotten more about
CDROM drives than I will ever know, but I do find this statement to be
contrary to my empirical experiences.

Example: I recently made the mistake of buying a used CD on eBay, and
it had uncorrectable errors on the first and last tracks. I tried a
number of drives (Samsung, LG, Teac), and neither dbPowerAmp nor EAC
were able to obtain a clean rip, whether in secure or burst mode. So I
played the CD on my DVD player (a cheap Cambridge Audio model) and
recorded the SPDIF output using a M-Audio 2496 card. No audible
glitches can be heard on the resulting files. I simply cannot believe
that the DVD player didn't suffer those uncorrectable errors, so I can
only conclude that it masked them with interpolation, while the CDROM
drives I tried did not.

Unfortunately my Plextor PX712A died some time ago, but I am fairly
confident that it would have been able to do the same trick as the DVD
player - it had done so on a few other bad CDs in the past. But that
Plextor was the ONLY drive I have ever owned that was capable of this.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A