The problem with this thread is not the bland but accurate statements
(e.g. people don't use lossy for recording and editing, flac is good
for playback, latest lame is good for playback). The problem is the
inaccurate detail which slightly anal people...such as myself...cannot
resist commenting on. Such is an Audiophile forum. :)

First of all, you CAN and DO lose accuracy when you make any
transformation in lossless. If you process lossless enough some
degradation will be noticed because of rounding errors.

COPYING lossless files (without processing) leads to zero degradation.
But the same applies to lossy anyway. Studios use hi-rez not red
book...if the criterion that mattered was lossless encoding they could
just use red book.

But as I said, I agree studios don't use lossy and I agree it's because
they need a higher quality format. Why don't we leave it there?
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system