TiredLegs;332273 Wrote:
> What exactly does digital jitter sound like after its converted to
> analog?

Apparently, that depends on the amount of jitter and at what frequency
that jitter occurs (jitter is apparently not the same at all
frequencies).

If I am to believe that jitter is the only thing that makes my
Squeezebox sound different than my CEC transport (and that's what I
keep on reading) then the reduced jitter of the CEC results in better
sound in almost every respect.

More detail

Wider bandwidth

Better PRaT

Better soundstage

Less harsh

Less congested

etc....

The Squeezebox sounds more strained compared to the CEC which I find
sounds more natural.  The Squeezebox sounds like really good digital.
The CEC has an ease that reminds me more of analog.

Don't get me wrong.  The Squeezebox sounds very good, and other than
the CEC and my Oppo DVD player I have not compared it to other
transports which it may very well be better than.  Had I not bought the
CEC on a whim (after I already owned the Squeezebox) I would have been
quite happy probably, at least for a while.  I suspect though that I
would have still sought out ways to improve my digital front end.

I just think the CEC sounds better, and I don't have to listen hard to
hear the differences.

If I can find a DAC that I like the sound of (or some other solution
whether that be to mod the Squeezebox or use a reclocker of sorts) that
eliminates audible jitter artifacts, levelling out the playing field, I
will be happy to sell the CEC.

--
SatoriGFX