pfarrell;332350 Wrote:
> ralphpnj wrote:
> > years. I remember back in my college radio days in the mid-1970s
> that
> > many commercial radio stations would compress and boost their signal
> > just as I described.
>
> Yes, but Loudness Wars, look it up, is fairly new. The labels force
> the
> mastering engineers to compress all life out of the music. Then it
> goes
> to radio stations, where they still have the massive compression that
> you remember.
>
> > I think that what is different today is that thirty years most of
> the
> > records were not compressed and boosted, and it was mostly just the
> > radio and television stations that were doing it.
>
> What is different today is that all dymanic range is squashed out of
> pop/rock releases.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

Pat,

I believe that we're saying the same thing. I was just trying to give
some background and to show people that the compression/boost technique
has been around for a while. That things are much worse now as far as
dynamic range compression and level boosting are concerned is only too
true and very, very sad. Good thing I listen to a lot of jazz since
this type hatchet job rarely happens with jazz recordings.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2