It appears to me from reading the article that they did a blind
comparison among four digital sources, picked the group's best-scored
two, then went to analog as a non-blind comparison.

"After the listening session of the second pair of digital contenders
finished and I informed the audience that there was no need for a third
round between the 2 winners since we had made this test earlier on, we
went straight to vinyl and the Chabrier's classical piece recording by
MERCURY..."

It is not clear whether the comparison between digital and analog was
blind or not.  If not, then I do not think we can draw any conclusions
from the test.

Also, I agree with opaqueice's point:  the mastering lineages of the CD
and the LP can be completely different, so strictly speaking they were
not even comparing the same material.  One would never compare two
digital sources by playing a well-mastered, dynamic-range preserving CD
on source A, with a loudness-wars induced, poor mastering of the same
material on source B.

--
jeffmeh