ar-t;347230 Wrote:
> Ok, the obvious dumb question:
>
> Why do you want to look at the SPDIF signal, and what exactly do you
> expect to see?

Pat - I happened to have the scope out to check a dead motherboard on
an old PC... I was just curious to see what the SPDIF looked like.

ar-t;347230 Wrote:

> First, you should connect it to your 'scope with a 75 ohm coax, and
> terminate it with 75 ohms. Not essential, but since you have some
> purpose in mind, it would help to do it properly.
>
> Second, you need to do it with the player idle. With music playing, it
> will look like garble. You may still have a hard time triggering on it.
> If your 'scope has a trigger hold-off feature, you will learn to
> appreciate why it is there.

My scope is a Phillips PM3055. It does have a variable trigger hold-off
control. I'll try again using a proper cable as you suggest. I was
indeed measuring while idle - If I play some music the screen is indeed
garbled.

ar-t;347230 Wrote:

> As for your other problem:
>
> 1 kHz square wave, right? Can you give us a clue? I assume something
> more than a rounded-off square wave. Could be loose ground clip on your
> 'scope probe. It does happen, even to guys who do it all day long.
>
> Pat

I'll try and post some pics later. The square wave had a notch (like a
"Z" on its side) in the upper "mark" line. It did look a bit rounded -
certainly not as sharp as the wave from my AF generator.I guess I was
just bit surprised since the sine wave looked perfect, but of course a
sine wave is rather easiser on the electronics!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)