Well, what I can say is the following:

Analog recording/reproduction is : A perfect (lossless) method, that
uses perfectible (lossy) recording gear, stores music on a perfectible
(lossy) media (tapes, vinyl,...), and uses perfectible (lossy) gear to
reproduce it (up to the amplifier).
Digital recording/reproduction is : A flawed (lossy) method, that uses
perfectible (lossy) recording gear, stores music on a perfect
(lossless) media (CD/HD), and uses perfectible (lossy) gear to
reproduce it (up to the amplifier).

So, both methods have four lossy components and one lossless. They are
quite comparable in fact.
The main problem (to me) is that the digital path uses two lossy
components before storing recorded music. Moreover, even if one day we
manage to design flawless (lossless) recording gear, we will never be
able to store lossless music. Because the initial (base) algorithm is
lossy.
On the other hand, using analog, if one day we could manage to design
flawless (lossless) recording gear and flawless recording media, we
could have been able to store lossless music.

Never mind... :)

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus