pfarrell;347456 Wrote:
> Themis wrote:
>
> > I was talking about the METHOD which is lossless. Is there
> > any theory saying that a non-transforming METHOD is lossy ? Can you
> > please enlighten me ?
>
> Analogue microphones (1) transform the signal and (2) are lossy.
>
> They are the first thing in the recording chain. If you want no
> transformations and nothing lossy, go to a recital.

Pat - Precisely...but they would be a constant in either a digital or
analogue recording chain as would the mic pre-amps - so they would lose
the same information in either context. All I'm saying is that the ADC
(if good enough) doesn't lose any more crucial information than (say)
the process of modulating the mag field in a tape head head... and a
record cutter head will lose a whole lot more than either...

It always amused me that direct-cut disks were such a big deal, when
arguably the step they were eliminating was the most transparent! (I'm
assuming no creative use of tape compression here of course).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)