Phil Leigh;348647 Wrote:
> Well - fascinating.
>
> I created a "perfect" squarewave in audacity and sent that to the SB3
> and then through my DAC. A scope on the DAC RCA analogue output showed
> a classic "Gibbs" squarewave...symmetrical overshoot, identical ringing
> patterns and complete consistency with no sign of 50Hz ripple effect.
>
> Seems my DAC is behaving itself anyway! (and the SB3 of course) - and
> that Alan Parsons test track is now shown to be the problem.
>
> I'll try and take a picture of the scope...

The squarewave might look perfect while creating it in audacity but
when you play it and look at the scope it'll be not so perfect ;-).
Truth is that a perfect square only exists when originated in the
analog domain. And even then it just looks perfect on the scope but
when you zoom in on a corner you will still find imperfections. The
reason is that you need infinite frequencies to create a theoretically
perfect one. 16/44 isn't able to do it not even at 1 kHz, no matter
what Nyquist says ;-) But nobody in this forums believes that so why
bother... Interresting is that you don't need the 16 bits, just one bit
would do it...

cheers,
Nick.

--