In defense of SB3's "noisy" sine: a scope doesn't tell you the frequency
of that noise content. Although it does have its share of audible noise,
most of what you see on the scope is out of band noise (far above 20KHz)
as an artifact of delta sigma modulation. Of course, higher end DACs
would also have lower out-of-band noise - I'm just saying it's
important to understand what you're looking at. Conversely, it would be
possible for a DAC to sound terrible while producing a good sine plot,
and indeed your example shows one way that only considering a single
sine wave can be very misleading.

Based on these pictures I am even more convinced it's a resampling bug.
Have you tried reducing the amplitude? Just use SB3's volume control -
you don't need to modify the source files.

--
seanadams