GHillTX;349513 Wrote:
> I'm taking the plunge and getting the Transporter for my Audio
> Research/VPI/B&W system.  I have the luxury of starting from scratch,
> not just using my existing desktop PC (Windows Vista) or laptop (also
> Vista).  What would you folks recommend as a storage device/music
> server to store files, and what format would you use?  I would prefer
> to save my discs in the format with the most
> music/ambience/imaging/etc. and not scrimp on file size.  Also, any
> recommendations on setting up libraries and playlists?  I'll want
> several different playlists and the ability to locate a title, album,
> or artist quickly for replay.  If and when I choose to move these to a
> portable device, I'm assuming I can convert them then to MP3 for use on
> an iPod?  Thanks, still learning about all this 21st century stuff.

I used to run SqueezeCenter on an old PC that I re-tasked as a server
with Linux installed.  Last year, I bought an HP Media Server that runs
Windows Home Server.  Mostly I bought it because it has a nice
set-and-forget backup solution for my wife's computer and our laptops.
But I found it also makes a dandy server for SqueezeCenter.  Small,
quiet, lower power requirements than my old PC (about 79 watts measured
with the original disk + 2 1TB drives).  Not super-expensive by
Transporter standards (mine was about $700 w. drives), and super-easy
to set up and use.

If I were doing it just for me, I'd stick with Linux, but the WHS
solution is extremely nice for the whole family.  I recommend it,
especially if you don't have a secure backup solution for your Vista
computers already.

Oh, and FLAC, by all means.  The meta-data is central to the
Transporter experience IMHO

HTH

Frank

--