opaqueice;351880 Wrote:
> What do you mean?  This research -was- a blind test - anything else
> would obviously be worthless.

Yes, but I was comparing it with the much praised ABX testing and the
software utils for that like in foobar. They use short samples and
repetitions. There are many audiophiles that state that even though
they don't hear the difference during abx testing, they will prefer one
over the other after a longer period of listening at home. They are
often ridiculed by others that state "abx proves". Well, it's now been
proven that abx is seriously flawed so these ridiculed audiophiles
might actually be the ones who were right and all the loud-mouths with
their "abx=true" were wrong even if the ridiculed are wrong too.

> As for the validity, that's hard to say.  One objection that occurs to
> me immediately is the possibility that their instruments are themselves
> affected by acoustic and/or electromagnetic interference from the high
> frequency component of the signal, so that what they were seeing was
> not different brain activity, but just different instrumental noise.  I
> suppose they addressed that, but I didn't have time to read through the
> whole thing to see where.

right in the abstract they showed that they tested 4 situations:

1. no sound
2. complete sound
3. low-pass only
4. high pass only

The instruments showed the same brain response for 1) and 4) so the
high frequencies had no effect on the measuring equipment.

> Another comment is that one of the experimenters is a manufacturer of
> speakers with supertweeters.  That's a clear conflict of interest and
> automatically casts doubt on the results, especially when they go
> against a century of other research.

Your response is typical for anyone who doesn't like or otherwise wants
to play down the findings of research done: attack the researchers. The
document clearly states that Pioneer is the manufacturer and not
Tsutomu Oohashi. Oohashi works for 1) Department of KANSEI Brain
Science, ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories, Kyoto;
and 2) Department of Network Science, Chiba Institute of Technology,
Narashino. So he's a researcher that developed a speaker for Pioneer
which is very normal and done by many researchers when a manufacturer
doesn't have the knowledge in-house.

On the "going against a century of other research": explain, no one
researched with these methods before and the equipment for doing it
wasn't available anyway. You seem to imply that the 10 institutes
involved, incl. hospitals and universities, are presenting something
else than the truth? You would be the one that has to prove that, they
don't need to defend themselves against wild accusations like that
because they are established and worthy organizations.

And they don't state that you can hear above 20 kHz. They confirm that
you can't. They even confirm that harmonics above 20 kHz by themselves
are not noticed by our brains at all. But they do -prove- (not just
-claim-) that a full sound up to 100 kHz does make a big difference
with all tested persons of which the youngest was 18 years old and the
oldest 34. The two possible explanations in the "discussion" section
are 1) the high harmonics change your ear so that they register the low
harmonics and fundamentals "better" and 2) that the high harmonics in
combination with the low-freq sound heard, directly stimulate parts of
the brain, resulting in a more satisfying sound experience. Both
explanations might be wrong, but the finding that sound with the full
spectrum results in more satisfying listening experience with
measurable biological brain-response is --proven--.

So, come back with the SACD's and release all on good mastered
DVD-audio's!

cheers,
Nick.

--