JJZolx;352728 Wrote:
> How do sleep at night knowing there are people in this world listening
> to less than stellar audio systems in their dining rooms and nurseries?

I try not to think about it plus I would want a real powerfull system
in the nursery! ;-) No, but seriously, this is the audiophile forum so
IMO it's a logical place to give negative opinions on amps that can't
be considered audiophile by far when one feels that way about the amp.
When you read back my posts in this thread, I recommended Boom's which
are less than stellar too and even, I almost don't dare to repeat it,
decent active PC speakers. It's not about the absolute quality level
itself, but about the lack of any level of quality requirement and the
way one implements it.

> I think what you're missing (not that anyone can convince you) is that
> many people want neat, unobtrusive, whole house audio systems in their
> homes.  Some nearly invisible ceiling or in-wall speakers and a control
> on the wall.  Not an entire stereo system in every freaking room of the
> house.

To my own surprise I follow you here.... but only partly :) I would
want neat, unobtrusive systems in most of my house (if I didn't live on
a boat), but I disagree you need "whole-house" amps for that. And I
would have nothing against in-wall speakers as long as they provide
something more than the "Burger King PA sound". And if someone puts a
"van Gogh" on the wall I can even understand it when they don't want a
on-wall or in-wall speaker next to it. I do object to the idea that
pulling speaker wires from the other side of the house into a room,
plus installing in-wall volume controls is less work than finding an AC
outlet or even adding one (and electrical codes do allow that even above
the ceiling) plus finding an invisible spot for SB + active speakers. Or
put a Boom in the bedroom instead and eliminate all work. And there are
really nice and small amps available that one can hide from view in
anything but a prison cell, although I would prefer active speakers and
yes you can buy active in-wall and in-ceiling speakers with remote
volume control too! Much better than that amp and wires and stuff. I
would also end up with several different systems for different rooms
because I would have different sonic requirements for them. I actually
removed all cabin in-wall-volume-controls aboard Jedi. They were really
nice, incl. switches for A/B speakers and even headphone sockets!
Expensive stuff... but they were noisy and some emitted smoke somewhere
down the road... I find it much more unobtrusive to have no such
controls at all but use a wireless remote instead... plus it won't
smoke or add noise! I really don't understand why someone would reject
them and insist on in-wall volume controls instead.

In another forum here I see photo's where people build a SB into the
wall as the only visible evidence that there's an audio-system in the
room. You can see what's playing and use the local IR remote not just
for volume but for selecting music too. Or, if you don't even want to
see that, it's easy to hide a very small SB receiver and some active
(on/in wall/ceiling) speakers and you see nothing and use the SB
controller for everything. I you don't want to carry these with you
around the house, buy a couple extra.

So, yes I prefer non obtrusive systems but no I don't want in-ceiling
speakers nor in-wall volume controls and I consider a SB + active
speakers not more a "entire stereo system in every freaking room" than
I do passive speakers plus in-wall volume controls plus speaker wires
to the other side of the house to a dingelingeling amp. I'll even go
further and claim that the SB + active speakers is a much more neat and
clean and better sounding system with less trouble and less installation
time than the wires and in-wall volume controls and passive speakers
setup. And I don't have to go to a "Pacific Rim Marketing" dealer to
buy the amp because the sales droid that I would meet there is stuff
for nightmares.

You might also have noticed that I like spicy postings but don't worry,
I laugh about myself and my posting too and they are never too hot for
my taste... although I consider editing the "reason for editing" of my

cheers,
Nick.

--
DeVerm