I have just such a system here in my home in Hawaii.  For those who
wonder about the logic, I wanted to be able to let each visitor select
one of several music streams, or "rain" white noise, or cable music
channels all from their AMX keypad, and then control the music on their
own.  Of course, one could put in a BoomBox today in each bedroom, but
that takes up shelf or table space I didn't want to use, or to have in
sight, for that matter.  Also, i'd have been limited to the sources
available on the Squeezebox.  So I put in an Extron switcher and amps
in an equipment closet and put in my squeezeboxes there.  I have an AMX
system and I use that to control the music, or of course I can do it
from any computer in the house or from the Duet Controller as well.
Generally I use a mix of these things for control.  All my guests like
the system very much, and with the music fed through the switcher I
have no problems with synchronization - which I have had in other homes
using a more standard approach.

--
scholl_r