maxrob200;366954 Wrote:

> As mentioned earlier, it was not so long ago that the general belief
> was that all cables sounded the same

That's not a belief, it's a fact* - and that fact hasn't changed at
all, recently or otherwise.

> or all that an amplifier had to do was demonstrate " straight wire with
> gain"

"Straight wire with gain" is the ideal for an amp.  I've never heard
anyone dispute that, and I can't imagine why they would.  Modern SS
amps come pretty close - close enough that the differences between them
are generally inaudible.

*Within reason, obviously - 50 feet of 24 gauge lamp cord will be
perceptibly lower in volume when used as speaker cable than 1 foot of
garden hose cable - but even then there's little or no evidence the
difference is perceptible after volume matching.

--
opaqueice