pfarrell;371071 Wrote:
> Patrick Dixon wrote:
> > pfarrell;370695 Wrote:
> >> What metric of jitter is important?
> >> What devices that we are likely to have are examples, good and bad,
> of
> >> this measured thing?
> >> http://www.pfarrell.com/
> >
> > As art said earlier, jitter is like noise, so the amount of jitter
> (ps)
> > and the type of jitter (spectral content) are both important.
>
> Amount in picoseconds absolute? or relative to the clock of the
> signal?
> What amounts are important?
>
> Noise is a classic example. while noise is bad, if its 100 dB down, it
> doesn't matter because humans can't hear it.
>
> I keep hearing that jitter is bad, but what jitter is bad, or how much
> of what is bad? What can be ignored, because its below the sensitivity
> of human ears?
>
> > But 'good' and 'bad' are subjective things ... there is only really
> > 'better' or 'worse'.
>
> Then its not science. See Lord Kelvin's quote.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/
'Good' and 'Bad' is not science ... and neither is not being curious
enough to try stuff for yourself :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by absolute amount in ps ... time is
continuously moving and so it's only ever relative isn't it?

You have to determine what amounts are important to you - it's like
noise, what amount of noise is important?  It depends on the type of
noise because some types and frequencies are less audible and
distracting than others.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk