Patrick Dixon;372472 Wrote:
> The problem I have with DBT in audio, is not that it's DB at all - it's
> that the tests are normally conducted using repeated short music clips.

They're usually done that way for two reasons:

1) Some research has shown that subtle differences are much -easier- to
hear when the clips are short, and

2) It takes less time that way.

There is no reason in the world why it can't be done with longer clips
- the ABX format is perfectly compatible with that.  Personally, I've
done a number of ABX tests using a computer program (for example, to
hear the difference between MP3 and WAV).  In my experience it's much
easier to hear the differences when you first identify a section where
it's potentially audible and then switch back and forth rapidly on that
section.  It's possible other types of effects are easier to hear over a
long term, but I'm not aware of any reason to think so other than the
(more or less worthless) word of audio manufacturers hawking their
wares.

>  Add to that the pressure that people feel when they're being tested,
> and as ar-t says, we generally end up with the result that everything
> sounds the same.

That's another old canard, which is not only obviously false (these
tests have been used for decades at least in research to establish
thresholds, and if it were true the thresholds would all be zero, an
obvious sbsurdity), but disposed of in 30 seconds of googling (tons of
DBTs even in high-end audio falsify what you said).

Of course we've had this discussion before and you're still repeating
the same falsehood, so I can only assume you have an agenda.

--
opaqueice