Pat:

Out of curiosity, what was your company called at that time.  It all
sounds very familiar.  I have only been to a couple of big shows - one
CES/High End about 10 years ago and the Stereophile show when it came to
Los Angeles.

I went to the LA show with a friend of mine and we quietly sat in many
rooms and tried to hear stuff knowing that setups have a lot of
compromises.  Over the next couple of weeks we tracked what people
thought were the best/worst rooms of the show online.  I was shocked to
see that some people liked what I thought were the worst rooms - so many
people like very, very bright unmusical speakers (Gamt!?! - we bolted
out of that room - just could not take it).  On the other hand some of
the best were not too expensive (Joseph Audio) and some expensive ones
were good (Nola, Hyperion, Rockport).  Money and quality of sound did
not correlate well enough for me.

-MA