Have you tried connecting one of the SB3's digital outputs to one of
your AVR's digital inputs?  You may like the sound of the AVR's
internal DAC better than the one inside the SB3.  For now, it doesn't
matter whether you use an optical or coaxial connector.  I think you
can leave your analog cables in place and be able to switch between the
two using the AVR's input control.  It likely won't be "night and day",
but you may prefer one over the other.

If you elect to get an external DAC, it would be connected to the SB3
via digital cable (again optical or coax) and the DAC output would go
into your AVR over analog cables (left/right).  A "digital-to-analog"
converter will typically only output an analog signal.  I've read good
things about the DacMagic and good results with other moderately-priced
DACs have been reported elsewhere in this forum.  A bit higher in price
and also well respected are the Benchmark units.  You don't need to
change any settings in SqueezeCenter if you switch to an outboard DAC.

I've read on these forums that the digital volume control on the SB3
will start to degrade playback quality only when it is below the
half-way mark.  That loss may or may not be audible to you, but I'd
recommend you adjust the SB3 volume to roughly match your other sources
and then use the AVR volume control as the master.  I do the opposite,
but only because I do 90% or more of my listening from the SB3 (and my
pre-amp does not have remote volume control).

Good listening!

--
Apesbrain