bhaagensen;379196 Wrote:
> OK, that is a bit far fetched. But maybe not so in the real world? The
> point is that while many discussions refer to the Nyquist limit, I
> think that it would be more useful to know the deviation between
> Nyquist-reconstructed wave and the one generated by representative DAC
> implementations. So to rephrase my question. Has anyone seen any
> discussions on whether clever techniques such as upsampling etc. has
> any effect on this deviation?

The catch is, how do you get clever?  In the sampled system, all
information above Nyquist has been thrown out, so how do you recreate
it?  If you look at a Fourier analysis, and see a decreasing string of
harmonics that suddenly terminates at 22k, you could continue the
string, but how do you really know that that's what was really there?
Maybe the instrument naturally terminates there, or maybe the even and
odd harmonics  have different relative levels, or maybe something
completely different goes on.  Without any information, you just don't
know, and are really just guessing.....

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight