morsejeff;379630 Wrote:
> Swarduk,
>
> Did you upgrade the AVR280 and the DAC at the same time?  If not, can
> you give us some details on how you feel each component separately
> impacted the sound?  Also, in your opinion, which one made the biggest
> difference in sound quality?

I got the DAC first, connected to my old Denon AVR3300, made a very
noticeable improvement, so obviously this DAC is a good upgrade
compared to the internal SB one.
The AVR280 (compared to my Denon) in "Music mode" made a huge
difference.  I had been disappointed in my Denon in stereo/direct mode
for some time, but now the Arcam sounds very close to that of friends
who run dedicated 2-channel amps.  Bi-amping also improved the sound
nicely, and is a nice feature to have if you're not using channels
6/7.
I have to say though that in "5.1 mode" watching movies/concerts I
haven't really noticed much difference between the two amps.

--
swarduk