pfarrell;380661 Wrote:
> Alfafa wrote:
> > Good studio taperecorders(ex. highend studer/revox machines) can go
> > 20hz-35khz +/- 1 db if you use the proper tape.
>
> Not according to the published specs:
> http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Tape_Studer_A820.htm
>
> # Frequency Response (+/- 1 dB)
>
> * 30 ips - 60 - 20,000 Hz
> * 15 ips - 30 - 18,000 Hz
> * 7.5 ips - 30 - 12,000 Hz
> * 3.75 ips - 30 - 8,000 Hz
>
> This machine, the A820 is a professional studio stereo recorder using
> 1/2 tape. Most tracking was done on 2" machine, typically with 24
> tracks. If you do the math, each track on the A820 is a 1/4 inch. On a
> 2" machine, they are 1/12". Less tape nearly always means less quality
> (snr, frequency response, etc.)
>
> And even if the tape machine could do 30kHz, the mics, preamps,
> mixers,
> etc can't.
>
> Wishing that there is tons of masters with significant signal over
> 20kHz
> doesn't make it so.
>
> With modern stuff, there is tons of ability to record high
> frequencies,
> but today's market is mp3s, audio quality is not important.
>

> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

Totally agreed about analogue tape (it was good but not that good, even
with manufacturer-alignment and the best Ampex money could buy...!) and
I've seen ADAT tapes in some very high end studios... often they would
be used as a convenient way of recording a vocal or guitar part in
(say) the UK for an album being mixed in the US... just courier the
ADAT and you can sync/dub it in at the other end in a way that was
near-impossible with analogue tape and SMPTE sync... This happened a
lot more than most people would think and it was before the high-speed
Internet we have today, where you could just send the bits down a
wire...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)