darrenyeats;380610 Wrote:
> The quality of production and arrangements used for a lot of modern
> mainstream music are awful IMO.
>
> However, the Idol and X-Factor singers can sing. I remember the live TV
> performance of "No Air" with Jordan Sparks and Chris Brown and they tore
> it up. That was before it was released as a single in the UK and I
> thought they were really impressive singers.
>
> However, the latest studio production of Hallelujah by the current
> X-Factor winner Alexandra is an awful arrangement and is pretty much an
> insult to Cohen not to mention Jeff Buckley's effort.
>
> It's sad - but the talent is there. I blame the music companies.
> Darren

Please define:

singing

talent

I strongly suspect that each of our personal definitions of "singing"
and "talent" will differ to some degree. For example, the American Idol
and X-Factor winners all have talent and can sing, as defined by the
parameters of these shows. The real question is whether or not having
these abilities means that they can actually "sing", when "singing" is
defined using a more traditional definition, for example, the ability
to convey emotion without over singing, i.e. SCREAMING!!!!

However, I completely agree with your contention that the music
companies are very much to blame for the poor production values of most
current popular music.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2