Well, I did end up purchasing 683s. I had a pretty small laundry list,
but I did also look at Klipsch's reference series, and ended up
deciding that they lacked the rounder, warmer sound of the B&W, but
cost a decent bit more. I listeded to the B&Ws driven by a couple
different Marantz ~100wpc integrated amplifier, but ended up taking
home a Rotel 100x2 power amp that I'll drive off the pre-outs of my
reciever until I decide to upgrade to something fancier named, like a
"home theater processor" - as I need video switching for all the video
games and whatnot.

I too was pretty impressed by the B&W sound when driven by "just" an
integrated amp - to the point where I found myself thinking I would
listen to the demo disk (which wasn't an artist I liked) simply becuase
it sounded good on those speakers. Of course, I'll get them home in my
goofy living room and it'll be different from the listening room at the
store, but hopefully I'll have forgotten what rooms with egg crate walls
sound like by then.

--
androidtopp

My SB3 is the most expensive part of my stereo. So I'm not going to brag
about it.
And my SBB as well...Is it wrong that my alarm clock is worth more than
most of my stereo components? I need to work on that.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp