maxrob200;391354 Wrote:
> Believe it or not, some of these devices do improve or degrade sound
> quality depending on materials used and areas of application
> -speaker spikes on stands
> -blu tack to decouple speakers from the top plate of speaker stands
> -isolation feet/cones for CD players and amplifiers using a variety of
> materials

"-blu tack to decouple speakers from the top plate of speaker stands"
then why bother with the speaker spikes?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real purpose of speaker spikes is to couple the body of the speaker
to the floor. Speaker Spikes/Cones are not intended to isolate as those
used under equipment (which I’ll get to later). Spikes/Cones on
stands/speakers are intended to pierce the carpet to couple the speaker
to the floor. Newton's Law is the reason for spikes on speakers. The
idea is to prevent the speaker from moving forward and backward on the
carpet or flooring because of the forces created by drive movement.
Which is the reason most people hear more clarity and a less muddy bass
when using spikes/cones. The driver’s cabinet is being securely held and
coupled to the floor minimizing speaker movement, which in turn reduces
unwanted out of phase byproducts caused by unwanted movement. Remember
your speaker is an active driver system which is moving air and there
are many mechanical forces at work. If speakers were not meant to be
hard coupled to the floor, the manufactures would have designed a
suspension system similar to turntables to hold the speakers so that
they might move freely in space (which would be a disaster as far as
sound reproduction is concerned). It takes vibration to even make sound
and the idea behind speaker spikes/cones is to create a solid and stable
foundation from which to project those vibrations without adding
additional products from the cabinet’s movement. What good is the
latest stiffest non-resonant driver mounting baffle if the cabinet
itself is moving back and forth?

If one wises to get the most out of ones spikes/cones, don’t use any
product between stand/cone/spike and speaker. The idea is to have the
best mechanical connection possible. Of course there are small
exceptions to this, but they mainly have to do with personal taste of
what sounds good to a specific individual.

On equipment, rubber or similar material has been proven with an
accelerometer time and time again to reduce the most vibration and
provide some of the best feet as well as most economical. An
accelerometer shows a large increase in vibration when cones are placed
under equipment. One theory is that most equipment doesn’t have enough
mass to make the spikes dig in and that the proper shelf material is
not under most spike equipped components. Now this in no way discounts
what can be under non-spiked feet. A 30 pound slab of granite with an
amp with rubber feet is a very stable arrangement for an amp.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5